Monday, August 31, 2015

summer 2015.

It's been a while. Hey.

So this summer. Wow. This summer has been the best summer of my life. I can't put into words how the amazing opportunities I've had in these three short months have changed me.

But I'll try, so here goes.

First adventure: Last year at Girl's Camp 

I got the opportunity to come back as a 6th with three other girls from the Stake, and it was a blast. Our theme was "Embark." My testimony grew, my friendships with the other girls were strengthened, and SO many memories were made. Loved every minute. I will miss it so much ♥


"O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind, and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." 
-Doctrine and Covenants 4:2

Second adventure: Church History Tour

Holy crap guys. It is impossible to explain to you how this changed my life. Studying Doctrine and Covenants in seminary this year and then being able to stand in the rooms where those sections were revealed, being able to be in the exact places where the early saints were... it was unbelievable. We went to so many sacred, sacred places.  

We started in Palmyra, NY, and saw the Sacred Grove, the Hill Cumorah, and the Peter Whitmer home where the church was first organized. In Kirtland, Ohio, where we saw the Newell K. Whitney Store, the Kirtland Temple, and the Johnson Farm. The Whitney Store and the Johnson Farm are both so incredibly sacred.


Nauvoo, Illinois was probably my favorite place we went. The Trail of Hope, baptisms in the Nauvoo Temple, AND OH MY GOODNESS all the musical theater. There are performing missionaries that serve during the summers there, and they are set apart to perform! The Nauvoo Pageant was ab.sol.ute.ly incredible. Something about music just brings the Spirit. 

Nauvoo was hard to leave too. We were only there for three days, and I already felt like I had a home there. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for the Saints to leave after they really did make that place their home, after they just finished the temple... I just keep gaining more and more respect for them.

Carthage, IL was very special for me. I was able to connect with the history there in a way I never could have imagined. I have a deep gratitude for Joseph Smith and everything that he did. After we visited the jail, I got in the car, and watched this video and just cried and cried and cried.



In Missouri, we saw the Far West Temple corner stones, and then Adam Ondi-Ahman, which was so. cool. I can't explain what it was like to be there. Also, Liberty Jail. That place is hallowed. I got to read Doctrine and Covenants sections 121:1-8 there, and the words just came alive. The Independence Visitor's Center was our last stop :)

My testimony of the early saints and of Latter-Day prophets and revelation has grown incredibly. I came home from that trip just overflowing with gratitude in my heart.

Third adventure: ECUADOR

 Life-changing. LIFE-CHANGING. I went with eighteen other teenagers and four adults through a program called HEFY.


It was a humanitarian trip, so we had the opportunity to volunteer at two orphanages, one of which was a special needs orphanage for children with disabilities. For two weeks we worked on building a house for one of the families involved with the orphans. During the day we would take turns going across the street to work with the children. They are precious. I learned so much about love. Those kids love so freely. I made bonds with them that I will never forget. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures of the children, otherwise I would have a post dedicated just to them.


We got to bond with the ward members there, too, we would go to Wendesday night activities, Sacrament meetings, firesides, and family home evenings. It was so hard to leave all the new friends we made, at the orphanage, in the ward, and in our group.

We did some adventure-y things too, boating in the Galapagos Islands, and zip lining through the Andes Mountains. I had the best hot chocolate of my life after hiking to a waterfall at 14,000 feet.


I will never ever forget the experiences that I had in Ecuador or the amazing people I met.

23 people. 17 days. 1 goal. 1000+ memories.

Here's the video. (Hopefully the church history one will be done soon!)



And now I'm back :)

Studying for the ACT, getting ready for my last year of high school. So yep. This year will be another adventure.

Later :)

2 comments:

  1. you're amazing! love you mwahah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely sounds like the best summer!! I was wondering why you were pinning so many ecuador pins on pinterest haha now I get it!
    good luck with senior year!!

    p.s. you seriously are amazing and your blog posts bring me joy :)

    ReplyDelete